Classified Employment Ads
ACGIH® supports the dissemination
of information from suppliers to the professional community.
on this page via our secure Classified
Advertisement Submission Form.
The Henry M. Jackson Foundation (HJF) is seeking a Bioenvironmental Engineer to support the F-22 Air Quality Assessment Program at the 711th HPW/RHXB, Human Effectiveness Directorate, Wright-Patterson AFB OH, and various other supported sites. HJF provides administrative and management support to the Human Effectiveness Directorate.
The Air Force Research Laboratory's Human Effectiveness Directorate is a key component of the 711th Human Performance Wing. The directorate is composed of a diverse group of scientists and engineers studying developing technologies specific to the human element of war fighting capability. We are leading the Air Force in its human-centered research, and we integrate biological and cognitive technologies to optimize and protect the Airman's capabilities to Fly, Fight, and Win in Air, Space, and Cyberspace. We are headquartered at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Dayton, Ohio, with additional locations at Brooks City-Base, San Antonio, Texas, and the Mesa Research Site, Mesa, Arizona.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge of complex laboratory procedures; ability to meet deadlines of projects; good communication and analytical skills
- Plans, conducts, and completes investigations under the supervision of the head of the laboratory. Assignments require the performance of complex laboratory tests, determinations, and analyses involving multiple procedures and a variety of technical approaches, including on-site direction of field sample collection and organization of analytical data for reporting. Makes detailed observations about experiments.
- Maintains clear and accurate laboratory records, inventories and logbooks.
- Establishes and maintains databases for research projects. Performs data analysis and interpretation and verifies and corrects data entry.
- Maintains compliance with established laboratory safety and field safety procedures.
- Provides quality control, trouble shooting and the maintenance of specialized sampling and analytical equipment.
- Assists with the writing and editing of experimental results for publication in technical and peer-reviewed journals.
- Provides guidance to lower level laboratory staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Master’s in scientific discipline
Minimum Experience: 2 to 4 years directly related research experience
Physical Capabilities: requires long periods of sitting and standing; handling of various chemicals
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: provides guidance to lower level laboratory staff.
Work Environment: laboratory environment
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the VP, Human Resources.
Please apply on-line at www.hjf.org/careers Click “Advanced Search” and enter job number 208183 in the Job Opening ID box.
HJF is a nonprofit medical research organization that provides support services to the military medical community and offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package.
HJF administers innovative medical research, supports education and training, and facilitates collaborations between the military and private medical communities. We provide comprehensive management and scientific services for more than 1,000 basic, clinical and applied research projects conducted around the globe. We also support continuing medical education programs for more than 160 military medical research and treatment facilities, and military medical organizations.
Posted April 29, 2013
Senior Biosafety Officer/Biosafety Officer
Battelle is the world's largest, independent research and development organization, working to advance scientific discovery and application. We're accelerating innovation by bringing people, science and technology together. From National Security, Energy, Environment and Material Sciences, and Health and Life Sciences, to Education and Laboratory Management, we provide innovative solutions to address the world's most pressing needs. We partner with government, industry, and communities to enhance quality of life for people everywhere.
We are currently seeking a Senior Biosafety Officer (2 positions) to support Battelle's growing biomedical research operations. This position is located in West Jefferson, OH. Relocation assistance is available.
To ensure the safety and health of staff in a professional, ethical manner and to be accountable for the elimination or reduction of known hazards. Develops, recommends and implements programs, policies and procedures for effective control of safety and health hazards. Monitors and controls the effectiveness of BCO's compliance programs and provides consulting services and technical leadership to all organizational levels in the area of occupational safety and health.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Establishes, maintains and manages exposure monitoring surveys for biological, chemical and physical hazards to assess short-term (acute) or long-term (chronic) health risks to staff from occupational exposure to biological agents.
- Establishes, maintains and manages specific programs that reduce or prevent conditions that adversely impact the health of staff.
- Develops effective controls, procedures and communications that will significantly reduce the risk of occupational illness and injuries.
- Prepares technical reports and training modules based on expert interpretation of measurements, observations, technical publications and regulations to communicate concerns and corrective measures and to document conditions.
- Assesses and analyzes the potential health and safety risks of research projects and determines effective engineering or administrative controls to mitigate those risks.
- Conducts facility audits to ensure that safety and health programs are being carried out in an effective manner and to identify deficiencies and unsafe work practices or conditions.
- Develops and participates in health and safety committees by providing guidance and expertise on health and safety issues.
- Responds to requests for assistance or responds to emergencies that could affect the health or safety of staff members.
- Acts as lead biosafety subject matter expert during regulatory inspections and periodic client assessments.
- Participates as subject matter expert during incident investigations and causal analysis reviews.
- Serves as subject matter expert for other biosafety research within Battelle.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Must be capable of obtaining required U.S. Government security clearances.
- Requires a Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Safety, or chemical/physical/biological sciences or a closely related discipline.
- Requires five years of professional experience in safety, biosafety, industrial hygiene, or other related areas in a BSL-3 lab environment and possess thorough knowledge of biosafety regulations and best practices and select agent regulations.
- Must have at least 5 years of experience in the development and management of health and safety programs, interpretation of regulatory requirements, comprehension of the technical aspects of research operations, communication with staff members of varied organizational levels and educational backgrounds.
- Must be eligible and able to receive vaccinations based on research being performed.
Battelle's competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, employee pension, tuition reimbursement, work/life balance, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
- Possess current U.S. government security clearance(s).
- Possess a Master's Degree or equivalent in Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Safety, or chemical/physical/biological sciences.
- Certified Biological Safety Professional with thorough knowledge of appropriate regulations or eligible to pursue certification.
- Ten years of professional experience in Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Safety, Safety or other related areas within a BSL-3 lab environment.
For more information on this position, please contact Stephanie Helgerman:
Office Phone: (614) 424-7363 or send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Posted April 18, 2013
Senior Industrial Hygienist US
Role: Senior Industrial Hygienist
Location: Houston, TX
Department: CS&E Health & Hygiene
Senior Industrial Hygienist would be responsible for the administration and coordination of Industrial Hygiene Management Programs within TransCanada's pipe and power business. Reporting to the Manager, Health & Industrial Hygiene, this position supports the delivery of industrial hygiene programs and procedures related to corporate activities.
* This position is eligible for domestic relocation.
* This position is not eligible for cross-border relocation assistance.
Qualifications and Education
- Develop, implement and maintain industrial hygiene programs, such as respiratory protection equipment, hearing conservation, contaminant exposure control and monitoring, asbestos management/abatement, bloodborne pathogens, hazard communication (Global Harmonization System), heat & cold stress, indoor air quality, illumination, and potable water quality;
- Anticipate the needs of customers and provide exceptional customer service through effectively implemented programs and procedures;
- Provide guidance and recommendations to business partners to facilitate their decision making process;
- Provide employees with the knowledge and skills to recognize and manage occupational health hazards;
- Develop and review industrial hygiene operating procedures and related documents (programs, plans, training course materials);
- Play an active role in the identification of hazards and implementation of regulatory, health and safety and program changes;
- Serve as a mentor/coach to junior team members;
- Assist with the development and review of ergonomic processes;
- Monitor/analyze results and prepare accurate/succinct reports and proposals, and communicate to affected clients/customers;
- Participate in Hazardous Identification and Hazardous Operations reviews;
- Review, interpret and communicate related regulatory impacts to the organization;
- Participate in HAZID, HAZOP studies to ensure hazards have been identified and addressed;
- Participate as part of the emergency response team by carrying an on-call emergency pager on occasion;
- Other tasks as required.
- Possess a strong knowledge of hygiene and hazardous materials related issues;
- Demonstrated ability to mentor professional occupational health and safety specialists;
- Ability to act independently;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Possess proven business and technical problem-solving skills;
- Client service oriented, with commitment to execute a high quality of service;
- Ability to adapt quickly, while managing a busy workload.
* This position requires candidates to:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in a health science-related discipline (e.g., health, physiology, human factors) is preferred;
- Recognized Industrial Hygiene Certification [Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH)], or other recognized designation is preferred;
- A minimum of six years of industrial hygiene and safety experience is required;
- Experience in the Oil & Gas industry is preferred;
- Industry membership (e.g., American Industrial Hygiene Association) is preferred.
* Depending on the qualifications of the applicants, the successful candidate may be offered a position at a more appropriate level and/or ladder.
- Have and maintain a valid driver's license;
- Provide a driver's abstract for review.
Applicants must have legal authorization to work in the country in which the position is based with no restrictions.
All positions require background screening. Some include criminal and/or credit checks in order to comply with regulations.
Posted April 15, 2013
Coordinator of Special Programs
Dept. of Facilities & Services
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Assist our Safety and Compliance department to ensure that University operations and activities comply with federal, state, and local occupational safety & health requirements. The individual we select for this full-time, 12-month, academic professional appointment will contribute to the development and implementation of programs designed to promote campus compliance with applicable safety regulations and promote safety on campus. This position includes occupational safety and industrial hygiene-related responsibilities.
A bachelor’s degree and relevant experience in occupational safety and health are required; an advanced degree in a relevant field of science, engineering, or technology is preferred.
Create a candidate profile at http://go.illinois.edu/ecprogramcoordspecialprograms
and upload your cover letter, resume, copy of college transcripts, and the names/contact information of 3 professional references by February 28, 2013. For further information, contact Nicole McCurry at firstname.lastname@example.org or 217-265-6361.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Posted February 19, 2013
Last update on 04/29/2013.
Questions or problems? Please contact us.
© 2013 American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists,
1330 Kemper Meadow Drive, Cincinnati, Ohio 45240, 513-742-2020. ACGIH® and related marks are marks of the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Access. ACGIH®