About Us: Gore is a materials science company focused on improving lives through discovery, product innovation and rewarding careers for our Associates. Learn More.
About the Industry: At Gore, our global support teams bring together extensive knowledge and collaborate closely to support our diverse portfolio of products that solve complex problems and perform in the most demanding environments. Learn more about Gore products.
About the Role: W. L. Gore is seeking an Industrial Hygienist to act as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) on our Environmental Health & Safety team in Elkton, Maryland. In this role, you will ensure ongoing confidence in compliance with EH&S regulations, provide a safe workplace and protect the environment. You will drive EH&S performance, including tactical and strategic improvement efforts involving: Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Ergonomics, Environmental and Occupational Health.
- Contributing to the development and implementation of functional processes in alignment with global standards, when applicable
- Planning, developing and delivering training/education on a broad range of EH&S topics relevant to each Associate’s role
- Performing industrial hygiene field measurements and evaluations and preparing accurate and complete technical reports of survey finding, and providing recommendations for corrective actions
- Determining appropriate monitoring and sampling strategies
- Evaluating and interpreting monitoring and sampling results, making determinations, and developing corrective strategies
- Advising/providing technical guidance regarding IH issues and effectively addressing Industrial Hygiene standards while meeting business needs
- Informing Regional Leaders of regional changes/trends/gaps/risks and collaborating with Center of Excellence (COE) Leaders on the path forward
- Providing technical expertise to support risk assessments, including selection of appropriate control strategies
- Evaluating relevant obligations (legal and other) through gap assessments and the auditing process
- Partnering with teams to identify, assess, manage and control EH&S operational hazards/risks, including EH&S risks during the process of innovation/new product development
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Industrial Hygiene, or related field (e.g.: Biology, Engineering, Public Health, etc.) and a minimum of 3 years’ Industrial Hygiene experience
- Knowledge of chemical hazards and ability to communicate associated health risk
- Success in identifying, assessing and controlling EH&S risk, including tolerable risk vs. compliance
- Understanding of region (country/local) specific regulations
- Proven problem solving skills, including incident investigation and root cause analysis
- Effective communication skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office or similar applications
- Ability to:
- Develop and implement practical, effective, and cost sensitive risk-reduction solutions and prepare/submit reports
- Independently drive multiple projects and priorities with competing resource needs while contributing in a team environment
- Build consensus and influence with a diverse group of Associates in safe behaviors and practices
- Work off-shift hours and travel up to 15% to meet business needs
- Degree in Chemistry
- Certification as an Industrial Hygienist (CIH)
- Experience in a manufacturing or laboratory environment including experience with EH&S management systems (ISO14001, 45001) and EH&S related consensus standards and industry best practice
This position requires access to export-controlled areas and information. Eligible candidates must be “U.S. Persons," meaning any natural person who is a lawful permanent resident of the United States, citizen of the United States, or any other protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. §1324b(a)(3).
What We Offer: At Gore, we offer comprehensive, competitive rewards in the form of compensation and benefits. Among these are work-life balance and sports programs, 401(k) Plan with a gift, Associate Stock Ownership Plan, Health & Well-being program with full health plan, and a flexible working program. Within Gore, you will find a unique culture, diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives, and opportunities for growth and development.
Learn more about: benefits, diversity, and growth & development.
We believe in the strength of a diverse workforce and inclusive work environment. In support of our values and continued success we are proud of Associates around the world who support an inclusive work environment, strive to reflect the diversity of the communities where we operate, and ensure all Associates and external partners are treated with fairness, dignity, and respect.
Gore is committed to a drug-free workplace. All employment is contingent upon successful completion of drug and background screening.
Gore requires all applicants to be eligible to work within the U.S. Gore generally will not sponsor visas unless otherwise noted on the position description.
Gore is a M/F, Disabled and Vet EEO/AA employer. (Applies to all positions in the U.S.)