The Senior Director, Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) is responsible for organizational compliance with local, state and federal environment, health and safety regulations. The Senior Director, EH&S promotes and drives continuous improvement of programs, processes, systems, and best practices that result in a safe workplace for its staff. The Senior Director, EH&S provides strategic direction and leadership for compliance with federal, state, and local health, safety, and environmental regulatory requirements.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations regarding health, safety and the environment.
- Manage internal health, safety and environmental programs, policies, and procedures with structured audits, coaching and consultation to ensure regulatory compliance and continuous improvement.
- Recommend engineering and management controls to provide reduced employee exposure to hazards, to contain environmental issues, and to promote a safe and healthy working environment.
- Provide leadership and direction to internal EH&S and RTI staff to evaluate, identify, and reduce the risk of loss through the application of health, safety and environmental principles and knowledge of laws, rules, and regulations.
- Conduct or coordinate reviews of follow up expectations and activities, as appropriate, and track corrective items on agreed timelines to closure.
- Drive prevention and risk reduction programs to improve safety and health programs, policies, and procedures; provide technical training and awareness of industry practices and changes relating to health and safety.
- Provide periodic communication to senior management on the direction and effectiveness of RTI’s health and safety programs, policies and procedures.
- Develop and maintain written environmental programs, policies and procedures including but not limited to: Lockout-Tag Out, Confined Space Entry, Fall Protection, Electrical Safety, Hearing Conservation, Hazard Communication, Personal Protective Equipment, Emergency Action Plan, Blood borne Pathogens, Waste Management, Spill Response, Storm Water, etc.
- Ensure that the facilities remain in compliance with OSHA, EPA and DOT regulations.
- Measure and openly report on EHS performance metrics.
- Review accident and safety investigations and report to senior management on a monthly basis; provide analysis of trends and concerns and suggest and lead potential improvements.
- Benchmark other company health and safety practices, programs, and structures and review other available techniques and programs to ensure continuous improvement of RTI’s health and safety program.
- Maintain compliance tracking programs and record keeping systems; prepare and submit all required environmental reports in a timely manner.
- Develop a program of accountability for all levels of the organization.
- Assist in new employee orientation process by providing information on RTI’s health and safety program.
- Assist with the evaluation of hazards in the workplace, as well as the implementation of adequate and effective layers of protection to mitigate identified hazards,
- Develop, implement and audit environmental policies, procedure and programs,
- Develop and implement hazardous materials shipping, radiation safety, biosafety, and ergonomic policies, procedures and programs.
- Oversees the Logistics Management team, responsible for import/export control, shipping and receiving, warehouse, and mail operations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Reports to the Vice President, Facilities Strategic Services
- Has company-wide responsibility for assigned matters
- Responsible for 2 direct reports and 14 indirect reports
- Bachelor’s Degree in occupational safety, environmental engineering or related science and at least 25 years of experience in EH&S; or Master’s degree (preferred) in occupational safety, environmental engineering or related science and at least 16 years of experience in EH&S.
- Technical expert in industrial safety, hygiene and environmental compliance
- Environmental Compliance, Program Management, Risk Management/Risk Control, and Regulatory Compliance knowledge and skills.
- Import/Export regulatory knowledge and skills.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Strong inter-personal skills
- Ability to interact, counsel, partner and communicate effectively at all organizational levels, including senior management, operations management and other business and department leaders.
- Results oriented; takes initiative, proactive and leads by example.
- Exercise sound judgement, balance business needs and legal requirements, develop and articulate business-minded alternatives and solutions and achieve business objectives.
JOB and PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Required to wear personal protective equipment provided by employer and comply with all safety requirements.
- Prolonged sitting and terminal work, ability to move around in a campus environment.
- Some lifting up to 50 lbs., bending, stooping, twisting, climbing.
- Hand dexterity and strength.
RTI International is one of the world's leading research institutes, dedicated to improving the human condition by turning knowledge into practice. Our staff of more than 4000 provides research and technical services to governments and businesses in more than 75 countries in the areas of health and pharmaceuticals, education and training, surveys and statistics, advanced technology, international development, economic and social policy, energy and the environment, and laboratory testing and chemical analysis.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further information is available here.
RTI participates in the US Government E-Verify program. Further information regarding the E-Verify program and laws that are designed to protect you against discrimination relating to your legal right to work in the US can be found at www.rti.org/jobs